So for whatever reason you need to install Windows 7 from a flash drive that’s not a problem!
- Format flash drive:
mkfs.vfat -F 32 /dev/sdx
- Set Label:
mlabel -i /dev/sdd1 ::WIN7x64 (optional)
- Download Grub4Dos – http://download.gna.org/grub4dos/
- Copy grldr and menu.lst to the root of the flash drive
- Add to menu.lst
title Install Windows 7 root (hd0,0) chainloader (hd0,0)/bootmgr
- Copy Win 7 Install files to root of USB flash drive.
- Boot Flash Drive – Select Install Windows 7
TIP: To install any version of Windows 7 (Home Premium, Professional, Ultimate) remove ei.cfg from the sources directory. However, you still need a product key for the appropriate version.
- Format Drive as Fat32
- Copy Files from Install DVD to Flash drive
That’s it, boot from the flash drive you are all good.
Note: The windows disk formater writes code to the MBR and VBR. This obvisouly doesn’t happen in Linux therefore we need to use grub4dos as our bootloader.